February 12, 2009

What a beautiful week we have had. It's a little cool this morning but the sun is out...a typical spring day even if it isn't quite spring. Flowers are blooming everywhere. Even the political turmoil that surrounds our nation can't do away with the beauty of this wonderful day! This past weekend I went to Sandy Hook. You might ask what would be down there that would be of interest. Well, this is where the John Ford home stands. I am a direct descendent of John and this home intrigues me greatly. Built in the 1700's it still stands and no one ever lived in this house that wasn't his kin. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. I had a private tour. I took photos. I soaked up the history. I stood where my ancestors stood. I realized that what I was looking at was more than a building. It was a legacy. Keep a watch on my slide show as the photos I took will soon appear there and when you have time, go to Sandy Hook and the John Ford home. Time stands still there and gives you a glimpse into something real. If you try, you can still hear the sounds of a bygone era. Country and home and God...all important. You can almost glimpse mom and the kids as they throw out the rope ladder and descend to the lower level to partake of a meal. You can feel the terror (and reflief) of the Indian hid by the Ford family in the upstairs attic cubby hole. You can hear the sewing machine trundling along as a new dress is made. But most important you will come to understand that we are woven from the fabrics of those who came before us and hopefully this will give you roots in the future and the courage to face it.

2 comments:

Wills Kitchen said...

So when does your book come out?

Yvonne said...

As soon as G agrees to illustrate it!

Having some fun on Saturday....

Click to play this Smilebox photo album
Create your own photo album - Powered by Smilebox
Create a photo album

Outing with the boys to Grand Gulf...they kinda look like kids from the Dust Bowl era...(smiles)

Photos by Me with Music by Taylor Swift

Smoky Mountains Fall 2009